The Church of St. Joseph was consecrated on September 15, 1896 on the site of the first Catholic church in Mykolaiv, built in 1794. The church, which has the shape of a cross in plan, was built in the eclectic style, of red brick, with two towers 49 meters high. A parish school and an orphanage for poor children operated at the temple. After the revolution, the temple was closed and in 1936 it was transferred to the
local history museum.
Divine services in the church were resumed in 1992 with the help of Polish Catholic priests. The restoration of the church lasted more than 10 years. The interior of the church was restored, new beautiful sculptures appeared inside, the old doors of the church were also restored. In 2008, a new organ was installed here, donated by the Catholics of the German city of Bochum.